Ultimage 3 QRSS kit
Ultimate3 QRSS kit
A while I started to get interested in WSPR and QRSS communication. The fun part of that would be getting as much km / watt with a DIY of kit based baken transmitter.
When looking around for some schematics and kits, I found the website of Hans Summers who has designed the Ultimate3 QRSS kit (link : http://www.hanssummers.com/ultimate3.html ). This kit has the most of what you need onboard for WSPR and QRSS communication and all for a nice price (aprx euro 20,00 / $28,00).
Some information about this kit (copy of the Ultimate3 QRSS kit page):
The kit supports the following modes:
- QRSS mode (plain on/off keyed slow CW)
- FSK/CW mode (frequency shift keyed slow CW)
- DFCW mode (dual frequency CW)
- WSPR mode (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter)
- WSPR-15 experimental WSPR mode with 15-minute frames
- Slow-Hellschreiber (frequency shifted slow-Hell)
- Full-speed Hellshreiber
- Half-speed ("DX") Hellshreiber
- CW (plain CW)
- FSK (0-999Hz shift, fast-speed FSK CW)
- Customisable FSK patterns
- DDS-controlled output frequency (through-pin DDS module, no SMD soldering required)
- Plug-in low pass filter boards (available for 10 HF and 2 LF bands)
- 2-row by 16-character blue back-lit LCD + two-button user interface
- User-programmable (callsign, message, speed, FSK, mode, etc.), settings stored in EEPROM
- GPS interface, for locking the frequency, timing and location information
- On-chip generation of WSPR encoded message (no PC required)
- WSPR maidenhead locator can be generated from GPS-derived latitude/longitude
- Selectable “frame” size, for stacked QRSS reception
- Plain CW callsign identifier at selectable interval
- Produces 150mW RF output on 30m (lower output on higher frequency bands)
- Higher output power by additional PA transistor and/or higher PA supply voltage
Reading all the this I took the step and orderd a kitt and some aditional filters, so I could work 10m, 20m and 40m, on 10 jan 2014. Knowing because of some stock problems it could take atleast a month to get the kit. But on 12 feb 2014 the shipment confirmation came in and on 18 feb 2014 I got the packages nicely packed with all stuff in it from Japan (!!?!?!?!).
Any way, that evening . . . it got late, very late :-)
Result, all filters build and tested, Ultimate 3, build, tested and up and running.
Check the next pages for more info of the build and photo's